There is no question about the fact that repairing cars is indeed a technical process which requires the correct vehicle manual in order to accomplish the repairs in a safe and proper manner. There is a large number of websites that offer factory service manuals for cars and other vehicles, however not all of them are kosher.
Many of them are incomplete versions and not entirely accurate which could result in not just D.I.Y home mechanics ending up causing more damage to their automobiles, but also experienced mechanics. The fact that even the most experienced mechanics often refer to factory service manuals more regularly than we think tells us that these manuals are actually blueprints to each and every component of your car.
Hence, it is crucial that vehicle owners, including mechanics obtain the correct factory service manuals that are explicitly meant to repair a specific type of car. Apart from using manuals to go about exploring, fixing, repairing or maintaining your car, it is also advisable for D.I.Y home mechanics to indulge themselves in car repair videos and even join car enthusiast forums where they will be able to receive an avalanche of information.
Here are some tips on how to maintain your car properly and ensure that it never fails you especially during times of emergencies.
- Get a factory service manual that was specifically created for your particular make and model. Get to know your vehicle through this manual first before you decide to go tinkering with it.
- Triangulate what you learn from your car service manual with car repair resources from the internet which are easily accessible. Watch a few videos made by professionals and identify the most common issues so that you will be prepared for them if they were to occur to you.
- Maintain a record of your car services and repairs and if possible, watch the work in progress
- Start by doing simple things on your own such as oil change, changing batteries, oil filter and fuses. This allows you to familiarise yourself with your machine.
- Keep a record of all spare parts that were changed (date, price, seller details, mechanic name etc.). This habit will give you a rough idea of just how much you spend over a period of a year and maybe bring the cost down gradually by doing some of the work on your own
- Keep a journal of the repair work you conduct, this will help you to eventually come up with quicker, more effective methods to do things for your car on your own.
- Just like how most people have ‘family doctors’, have a ‘family mechanic’. This could be accomplished by gathering a few of your friends and going to the same mechanic. Mechanics are also business people and they value loyal customers and often, they would give better prices and services to regulars.
Keeping a car in good health is in fact an easy task and all you need to do this is have the right factory service manual for your car.