Misplacing or losing your car key can be very stressful and scary, particularly if that’s the only copy that you have. However, there are several car key replacement services that can help you get over the whole ordeal faster than you can imagine. So, what should you do immediately you realize that your car key is missing?
Here are the most recommended steps to take to ensure that your vehicle gets back on the road fast.
- Scour potential areas where you might have misplaced the key
Many people tend to equate misplaced key with lost keys. The difference between the two is that you will never find a lost key but it is possible to find a misplaced key. So, before taking action, scour some of the areas you feel you might have misplaced your key. If you can find your key, it will save you a lot of money and time. However, if it is really lost, you need to start gathering all the information that your local locksmith might need.
- Know your Vehicles VIN
You need to know your Vehicle Identification Number in virtually all car key replacement situations. Getting this number before contacting a locksmith is going to save you a lot of stress. If you’ve never lost your key, strive to keep your VIN’s copy in a place other than inside your car.
- Confirm your vehicle’s model and year
Car keys vary significantly. Even two models of the same car can have a completely different key set up. So, it is vital to be sure of the specifics of your vehicle before calling a locksmith. This way, they will find easy time in getting you the right key replacement fast.
- Call for Help
The next step is to call for the right people to come and help you fix the problem. You have three probable options:
- Call a local locksmith: Call a locksmith and explain to him the situation as well as your location. Do some background research on the locksmith to avoid being duped by scam artists who call themselves emergency locksmiths.
- Call a dealership: When you opt for this option, you might be asked to take your car to the dealer on a flatbed, which can be costly in the end. Taking your car to a dealership can also be expensive depending on your car’s make and model.
- Call 911: This is could be the last resort and one you should opt for in areas that you deem dangerous. The police will either help you unlock the car or call a tow truck if they are unable to help program a new key. Remember that you will have to pay for such services.
You shouldn’t panic when you lose or misplace your car keys. Having a reputable car key replacement service come and help you program a new car key isn’t that expensive. Besides, it only takes a few minutes. Hopefully, the above tips have shed some light on the steps to take in case you find yourself in such unfortunate situations. And always remember that prevention is better than cure, so it is a great idea to get a spare key if you still have your original key.